Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Disneyland Half Marathon

I can't tell you how much I hate running. Scratch that...how much I hate exercise in general, however, I hate running the most. With some deep introspection and my own version of psychoanalysis, I have concluded that my loathe for running stems from me completely sucking at it. Even in the days when I was in tip top shape... I still had a hard time finishing a mile without being completely winded. I had plenty of endurance to dance, stunt and do cheer routines for hours on end in high school...no problem. I could hike up mountains all day long or play a good game of tennis without hesitation. And nevermind short distance running, I would challenge anyone to a foot race. But when it came to long-distance running (yeah...anything over a mile is long-distance in my book), forget about it.
Accordingly, it may come as a complete shock that I have signed myself up to run a half marathon. THAT IS 13.1 MILES PEOPLE!!! I have actually been considering starting a running routine for quite some time (the thought usually only lasts momentarily haha)... my logic... -hear me out- is if I actually keep running consistently then I will naturally get better at it... and if I become good at running, then I surely will start to enjoy it. Right? As much as I tried to justify this wonky logic... I hadn't quite convinced myself to the point that I would get outside and start running.
THEN!!! My sister told me about the Disneyland Half Marathon that she was considering participating in. It goes all throughout Disneyland, through the castle, California Adventure, Downtown Disney, out to the streets of Anaheim, around the Honda Center...down the Santa Ana River...through the Big A...and back to Disneyland. And you are cheered on by characters along the way! How fun does that sound?? (minus the running part, haha)

Being born in Anaheim and raised in Southern California (not to mention owning a season pass to Disneyland for several years)...I have always had a soft spot for all things Disney. Both of my sisters have decided to do the marathon as well as a couple of our friends. PERFECT! Not only will this actually be the motivation that I need to get myself to start running but I can't make excuses for myself NOT to run. How embarrassing would it be to be the only one out of the group that can't keep up? And, even worse, having to get picked up by the lag wagon?? haha Seriously, if you can't keep up they pick you up in a cart and drop you off at the "family reunion" area at the end of the race. I think I would rather sneak off course into a back alley and call a cab to come pick me up and take me straight back to the hotel, than to accept a ride of shame on the lag wagon. But, considering you have to maintain a 16 minute mile (which I can easily walk), the only way that would happen is if I snapped an ankle or something. Then I would gladly accept a ride on the lag wagon to display what a warrior I was! I ran so hard I snapped my ankles. haha

Seriously, I was sold with the pyrotechnics at the start line.

I mean, Disneyland has yet to disappoint... but fire to start the race?
Even Mr. Walt Disney would nod in approval.

Look at these cute running outfits! Probably not the most practical, but I give them an A+ for having the Disney spirit! Too cute!

Even with all of this excitement and as much as I am looking forward to accomplishing such a huge goal... I am still scared to death that I am not going to be able to do it... or, even worse, that I will give up trying when I inevitably get frustrated at how hard I have to work at it. Considering I will be training by myself when I get home to Texas and don't have the social support that everyone has back home in California... I need to hold myself accountable somehow. So I have decided to post my weekly progress on my blog. Nothing like a little social shaming to get my butt in gear! ;) I promise to be honest... and if I don't have a post about running each week, from now until September 6th... feel free to give my a kick in the pants. :)

Right now... I am looking up at what seems like Mt Everest. For me, this is my impossible challenge...one that not even I can convince myself that I can achieve.

I love this guy at the Chicago marathon... how encouraging!

"I can do all things through HIM who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

Can I get an Amen??




5 comments:

  • Le Quaintrelle said...

    Amen! I am also scared to death of not being able to finish, or dying on like... mile 5. but hopefully the next 14 weeks of training will suffice. godspeed... to all of us.

  • jessica said...

    AMEN!! may God help us all! haha! :)

  • A Wedding Story said...

    Amen sister!!!!!!

  • From the Old InkWell said...

    Melissa, thanks for stopping by my place and taking the time to leave me a sweet comment. And yes, God is good!

  • The Bloom Girls said...

    Melissa,

    It is awesome that you are going to run the marathon! If I were going to EVER run, I think Disney would be just the place! I grew up in Canoga Park and Disney is one of my favorite places on earth! It is running part that I have issues with. I hate to run ! I have always said, if you ever see me running, you had better not ask questions but take off running yourself because something big and hairy with fangs is after me! Thanks so much for stopping by our blog and checking out our Twilight tablescape! Have a great week!

    Karyn